With all of the new diets and crazes out there, people seem to be loosing and gaining the same pounds over and over again. Its craziness I tell you! Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaziness!! Not to mention, people are practically killing themselves over it, whether it be to feel a lot better, or you just want to have that beach body. I hate to be that person to say “you got it all wrong” but well……you got it all wrong.
First off, lets look at what most of you guys are doing these days. You focus on calories and only that. A teaspoon of sugar has about 15 calories, right? You can work that off by jogging on a treadmill for two minutes. Piece of cake, right? Wrong. Empty white sugar is processed in your body as something that has no intent of nourishing you. It spikes your blood levels and are linked to things like immune suppression (a fancy word meaning your body can’t fight off diseases as easily). It also says it’s “natural”, but so are most drugs. Is all-natural, good old fashioned tobacco good for your health too? I’m not here to give you a talk about sugar or drugs. Lets save that for another post. What I am here to tell you about is something totally different.
I’m here to tell you about eating clean. Eating better. Eating for your health. You don’t want to hear me talk about being healthy and just want that beach body? Fine. Go find some magic pill that lets you eat anything in sight and gives you what you want. Go ahead. See where that gets ya. But let me tell you something right now. A healthy body IS a beautiful body!!! Your muscles grow when you can function right. And when can they function right? When you are frickin HEALTHY!!!!
Its like a car. Fill it with the wrong fuel, it won’t run. I don’t care how many magic pills you throw in that gas tank. It’s not gonna run right, if you don’t put the right stuff in it! If you are expecting me to tell you otherwise, you can just click out of this page right now.
(I wonder what they’ve got under the hood)
OK. Enough of my ranting. Time to tell you what I discovered to be the best thing that ever happened to this seventeen year old vegan (and no, you don’t even have to be vegan to do this). It’s something I’d like to call eating clean. I didn’t invent the word. Tons of people do it! You know those movie stars you see on the big screen? Angelina Jolie? Halle Berry? They all eat super healthy, whether you know it or not. Tosca Reno’s has many books on it, which I would definitely pick up a copy if I were you. She explains a lot better than I do.
(This is the book I have. It helps a LOT!)
So now that I’ve told you who does it and what it isn’t, let me tell you what it is. Eating clean is nothing more than eating things your body actually needs. If you can’t pronounce it, don’t kill your body with it. Now with that said, there is a chart Mrs.Tosca made to help me out a bit.
What to do:
- Eat More- eat six small meals a day (usually three hours apart)
- Eat breakfast everyday, within an hour of rising ( this jumpstarts that metabolism from the 6-12 hours you don’t eat at night)
- Eat a combination of lean protein and complex carbs at each meal
- Drink two to three liters of water each day
- Carry a cooler packed with Clean foods each day (I use grocery bags. You want to keep food with you so you don’t find yourself three hours later with nothing healthy to eat, and turn to the junk)
- Depend on fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins, nutrients and enzymes.
- Adhere to proper portion size.
What to Avoid:
- Avoid all over-processed foods, particularly white flour and sugar
- Avoid chemically charged foods
- Avoid foods containing preservatives(if you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it)
- Avoid artificial sugars
- Avoid artificial foods (such as processed cheese)
- Avoid saturated and trans fats (go for poly or mono saturated. Omega-3 baby!)
- Avoid sugar-loaded beverages, including colas and juices (a lot of juices have added sugar so watch out!)
- Avoid (or do your best to limit) alcohol intake.
- Avoid all calorie-dense foods containing little or no nutritional value (Tosca Reno calls these “Anti-Foods”)
- Avoid super-sizing your meal
And that’s it! If you really want to get a head start, add a bit of flax seed to your diet. But that’s for another post.
This thing will not magically make you skinny within a week. If you are wanting something that has “INSTANT WEIGHT LOSS” written all over it, go click on a Google ad or something. You won’t loose that belly instantly, but you will as quickly as naturally possible.
Om Nom Nom
The key? Stick with it. If you REALLY want to get yourself healthy, get your health right, or just plain want to look better like the rest of us, just keep on going. I promise you, this thing will change your entire outlook on eating. And like I said, go pick up a “Eating Clean” book or a “Clean Eating” magazine if you need a bit of help on your journey. It sounds bland now, but I promise you will love what you see. I started about four days ago, and my skin is already starting to clear up. So. Will you join me?
If you have a Clean Eating story, or an awesome recipe, post it or a link to it in the comments please!
Health Freax Unite!
-Andrew “VegMuffinMan” Morrison-